It has truly been ages
since I last wrote a journal entry (like...two and a half years, yikes), and it's a little depressing to see it every time I go to my profile, and I really should write a new one anyway, so some updates:
- I went through a dry spell of about a year where writing poetry came with difficulty or not at all. Writing anything
was like that, actually. It was weird and it sucked.
- But it ended sometime last year and I've been relatively back on track ever since.
- I feel like I'm really steadying as a writer - not stagnating, but becoming more stable. As in, normally when I write something and then look back on it a year later I've completely changed as a writer in the time since, and I think it terrible. But now when I look at what I wrote a year ago, it seems like it was written by the same writer that I am now, and I sometimes even like it more than I did when I first wrote it. So that's good, and to know that I probably won't despise what I'm writing now in a year or two is really pleasant, and pretty motivating, too.
- I still worry that I show my influences too clearly, though that's really more of a problem with my prose than with my poetry.
- I haven't done NaNo since 2012 (which was what my last journal entry was about, aw) unless you count a very aborted attempt at Camp Nano 2014, but I am currently writing a novel and I'm excited about it. There are several other ideas that I want to write but that I have to plan out and research much more before I can really start on them.
- I usually feel at least somewhat confident in my poetry now. Like, my most recent poetry - anything pre-2013 makes me want to cry a little, but I'm glad that I wrote and saved it all.
- Also, j'apprends le français! Very badly, but that's the only way I learn any language except English.
- And that is all I can think of right now. I hope anyone reading this is having a lovely morning/day/evening/night.